Saturday, June 15, 2013

Pathology

So what I didn't mention in the previous post is that we knew there was probably going to be what is called a positive margin on Alex's right kidney. A positive margin means that there are cancerous cells at the edge of the removed tissue. The reason we were OK with that was because the tumor butted up against the renal pelvis (a nice hollow membranous collecting system) and there wasn't anything else TO BE removed.

Turns out there wasn't a positive margin. That edge was nephrogenic rests (a precancerous change), there was no sign of anaplasia anywhere (ALL favorable histology). Talk about good news all around! Alex is supposed to have his drain removed on Monday at 8 AM, and I suspect we'll be seeing oncology Tuesday to find out what the plan is from here. What I do know is that the chemo won't be as nasty as it could have been and shouldn't be as nasty as it has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment