Sunday, March 17, 2013

Round Four

Alex's counts were WAY up on Friday. When his bone marrow kicked back in, it kicked back in big time. So we had round four of his chemo-which was another "big" round with all 3 drugs. Not sure if it's teething (I know he's cutting his lower left 2nd year molar) or chemo side effects, but the evenings have been a mess. He wouldn't go to sleep Friday night, didn't want to take his meds, and was crying A LOT. I knew it wasn't anything too serious because Robert could make him laugh by being silly (YAY for Daddy!). About 9:45 we'd just had enough and I suggested a car ride. Worked like a charm. 

Saturday morning he was happy enough that I got out to go meet a friend for a mani/pedi and to eat lunch. Felt really good to have some "me" time. Now I just have to find a way to kick Robert out for some time for himself. Between work and school, he doesn't have much spare time to begin with. So when you add on a cranky toddler that takes 2 parents to juggle, life gets really interesting.

I'm going to attempt to go into the office tomorrow. I spent two hours there today and felt like I got a good chunk done, but it's never enough when you've been out for a week! I was working from home, but there are the inevitable bits and pieces that just require me to be there in person. We'll see how Alex does. I may just work half a day in the office and do the rest of the day here at home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea on the car ride! Based on watching Dan go through so many rounds of chemo, eventually the chemo produces a non-specific, ache-all-over-and-everywhere state that just grinds at the patient, kind of like the body aches you can get with a nasty virus. Making the patient laugh works for a bit because you're kicking in the good endorphins. So anything else that produces endorphins, or soothes the all-over aches can help. Massage? Water play? And anything that can distract him in a pleasant way but not requiring action on his part when he's tired might help - something analogous to channel-surfing? I think the car ride gave both gentle vibration and a distracting light show.
Hang in there!
Jeanne

Post a Comment